Because I initially started this blog to connect with others who have allergies, I am constantly trying to come up with recipes that are good not only for people like me who have egg and nut allergies, but also those who might have a dairy or gluten intolerance/allergies. This is one of those recipes.
The first time I made this, I honestly didn’t really know what I was doing. But sometimes, that tactic turns out the best, right?
I loved this bowl/flavor combination, but I’m already thinking of a couple of variations to try sometime. 🙂
Berry Breakfast Quinoa (E, N, D?, GF)
makes 1 serving
– ¼ cup uncooked quinoa
– ½ cup water
– 1-2 tbsp. milk (I used skim, but you could use whole, rice, soy, coconut, etc.)
– 1 tsp. brown sugar, or to taste
– 1 tbsp. vanilla protein powder, optional
– 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- In a small pot, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes until quinoa is tender.
- Keeping heat low, add the milk and brown sugar. Allow the sugar to melt and the quinoa to absorb most of the milk.
- Stir in protein powder, if you’re using it.
- Thaw the berries in the microwave for about 1 minute, or until warm and juicy.
- Spoon the quinoa into a bowl. Pour the berries and juice over top, and serve warm.
– I added the milk into the recipe just so the quinoa was a bit less dense. It worked perfectly!
– You could use regular sugar – or even a sweetener – but I love the molasses-y flavor the brown sugar gives this.
– If you don’t have protein powder or don’t want to use it, I would add maybe ¼ tsp. vanilla extract for that flavor. It’s delicious.
– This recipe is perfect for vegetarians, vegans (if you don’t use dairy milk!) or Meat Free Mondays. The quinoa has a ton of protein in it, and the meal overall is very filling and satisfying.