Boy oh boy do I have a great recipe for you all. It is dairy, egg, nut, and could be gluten free; super easy, fast, and under 150 calories. I’m serious. This is not a joke.
5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake (E, N, D, GF?)
Makes one mug
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
Dash of cinnamon (optional)
One flax egg (3 tbsp. water + 1 tbsp. ground flax seed)
2 tbsp. vanilla rice or soy milk
1 tbsp. applesauce
1/2 tbsp. dairy-free chocolate chips
Stevia to taste
- Spray the inside of a coffee mug with non-stick cooking spray, and spread around with a paper towel.
- Mix together the water and ground flax seed to make a flax egg. This mixture should sit for a couple of minutes until it thickens and is the same consistency as a real egg.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients (flax egg, rice milk, and applesauce) in another small bowl, then add to dry. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- At this point, taste the mixture so you know how much Stevia to add, and then add the sweetener to taste.
- Pour the cake mix into the prepared coffee mug, and pop in the microwave. Microwave on high for 2 1/2 – 3 minutes, or until top of cake is baked.
- Flip the cake out onto a plate.
(Sorry for the blurry pictures!)
- Top with strawberries, ice cream, whipped cream, or chocolate sauce, and enjoy!
– If you don’t have allergies to eggs, go ahead and use one in this recipe! It will alter the calorie count, but should turn out just fine 🙂
– Along the same lines, if you are allergic to gluten, brown rice flour would work great.
– Stevia is natural, zero calorie sweetener made from the leaves of the Stevia plant. It measures out exactly the same as sugar, and therefore most other sweeteners, so you could use real sugar or something like Splenda in this recipe.
– I say to add the Stevia “to taste” because it really depends on how sweet you like things. I was ok adding about 1/2 tsp. Stevia to the cake, but my mom needed about 1 1/2 tsp. Go ahead and experiment, but remember that you can add, but you can’t take away!
Sooooooo amazing. Try it. Right now. It’s only 139 calories! 😀