I have a recipe for you all! I made this a few months ago, and as I was looking through the pictures just now, I realized that I really do need to make it again! This dish could easily be vegetarian (even vegan!), but I added some cubed chicken to it, just for extra protein.
Garlicky Pasta with Green Beans and Tomatoes (E, N, D?, GF?)
– 1 tbsp. olive oil
-1/2 white onion, chopped (use more or less, to taste)
– 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
– 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, chopped
– 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, juice and all
– a pinch of dried basil
– 4 chicken breasts, fully cooked and cut into cubes (optional)
– 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
– Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and set aside.
- Heat skillet to medium heat, and pour in olive oil.
- Saute onion for about 8 minutes, or until tender and almost translucent. Add in garlic, and saute for about 1 minute. Be careful not to burn it.
- Remove onions from pan and set aside. Add green beans and saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes (and juice), onions, and garlic. Sprinkle basil over the top.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat, or until tomatoes are heated through, and the juice has reduced by about half.
- If you are using it, toss in chicken and stir. Make sure chicken is heated through before serving.
- Serve over pasta, top with parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
– You could very easily make this recipe both dairy and gluten free by simply leaving out the parmesan (or using a dairy-free version) and using gluten free pasta.
– If you are making this vegetarian/vegan, you could add in any vegetables you like – in place of the chicken, maybe toss in some mushrooms, for example! Baked or pan fried tofu would be great, too.
– That being said, even if you aren’t omitting the meat, you could still mix up and vary the veggies. I just used what we had on hand, and it turned out great!