Happy Monday, everyone!
I wanted to pop by and share the recipe I’ve been promising you for about a week now: Egg-Free Frittata!
Being allergic to eggs makes meals like breakfast and brunch kind of difficult to navigate and plan. I never go to restaurants for those meals, because I simply will not find a menu item to enjoy (unless it’s a bowl of fruit, which isn’t exactly thrilling). Even brunch at home didn’t have too many options, until I decided to tackle an egg-free frittata. It took a couple of tries, but I finally got it just right. Enjoy!
Egg-Free Frittata (egg, nut, dairy?, and gluten free)
– 14 oz. firm or extra firm tofu
– 1 tsp. dijon mustard
– Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, Italian herbs (to taste)
– 1 tsp. olive oil
– 1/2 cup onion, chopped
– 1/2 cup bell pepper, any color, chopped
– 1/2 cup baby red potato, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, diced
– 4 oz. fresh baby spinach
– 1 oz. prosciutto, ham, or bacon, chopped (optional)
– 4 tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese, separated
- Spray a 10-inch oven-safe dish with non-stick cooking spray. Heat oven to 400*F.
- In a food processor, combine tofu, mustard, and spices and seasonings. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add onion, peppers, potatoes, and garlic. Saute until tender; about 7 minutes.
- Add spinach and prosciutto (if using) and heat until spinach is wilted; about 3 minutes.
- Once everything is cooked, add the veggies into the food processor with the tofu. Add 3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese. Blitz a few times or until incorporated.
- Pour into greased dish, and flatten the top using a spatula. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 tbsp. Parmesan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until browned. I put mine under a broiler for about 2 minutes to get it extra brown and crispy.
- Cut into 8 servings, and enjoy!
– For a thicker frittata, press the tofu for at least 30 minutes before using.
– To keep this totally vegan/dairy free, use vegan cheese or nutritional yeast. (I’ve never used the latter, but heard good things about it!)
Nutrition facts (per 1/8th) (calculated without meat): 81 calories, 4.8 fat, 4.6 carbs, 1.3 fiber, 6.1 protein