For some reason the weeks have been just flying by for me – which I’m ok with, as it just brings me to another weekend! 🙂
Last weekend, upon the
begging request of my dad, I made key lime pie. I’ve made it before using a couple of methods. One is with a pre-made and/or no-bake mix. Those are good because they don’t have egg in them, but you can just tell they’re fake. If you know what I mean. I’ve also tried making the pie from scratch, which involved eggs. My dad and brother liked it a lot (my mom isn’t a fan of key lime pie), but I of course couldn’t have it.
Which is why I was thrilled when I rediscovered this recipe by Mostly Desserts.
It really, honestly could not be any easier. And the best part? No eggs! This meant I could eat it, and my dad could try the raw “batter” (is that what you’d call it?) that was leftover in the bowl. He claimed it was the best key lime pie he’d ever had!
Once it came out of the oven, he felt the same about it. A success!
Easy Key Lime Pie (egg, nut, gluten? free)
slightly adapted from this great recipe
– 1 (9 inch) premade graham cracker crust (use gluten free if necessary)
– 3 cups sweetened condensed milk
– 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
– 3/4 cup key lime juice (<– you must use key limes if you want that distinct taste!)
– 1 tbsp. grated lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (with the whisk attachment), stir together the condensed milk, Greek yogurt, key lime juice, and lime zest. You don’t have to beat it for too long, just until it comes together.
- Pour into the pie crust, and place pie on a baking sheet to make it easy to handle and to be sure it doesn’t overflow and dirty your oven. 🙂
- Bake for about 7 minutes. Keep an eye on it as you don’t want it to burn. Just look for tiny bubbles in the middle.
- Cool completely and then store in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving.
- Garnish with sliced limes, and enjoy!
– Over the next few months I’m going to try and develop a dairy-free version of this pie. Hopefully I’ll have some success!
You honestly cannot find an easier recipe for Key Lime Pie…or any dessert in general! So with summer pending be sure to keep this in mind for your next get together.
Have a fantastic weekend!