This recipe has been around for a long time, I think. However, I only recently discovered it, and made it just a few weeks ago. All I can say is, it’s a keeper. While there are plenty of combinations to try out, diet soda works just as well as regular, and cuts at least 100 calories out of the batch!
2-Ingredient Soda Cupcakes (E, N, D?, GF?)
makes 12-14 cupcakes
1 box cake mix (any flavor!)
1 12-oz soda (any flavor, regular or diet!)
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350* (or whatever the cake mix box says to do). Line a muffin tin with baking cups, and set aside.
- Put cake mix into a large bowl.
- Dust the chocolate chips with a bit of the cake mix, so they do not sink to the bottom while baking. Add to the cake mix.
- Pour in soda, and mix.
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin tin, so the batter goes about 2/3 the way up the tin.
- Apologize to your puppy who desperately wants to play, and promise her you will while the cupcakes are baking.
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost, if desired.
– The combination I used was chocolate cake and Diet Coke. Other combinations I’m looking forward to trying are: lemon cake + Sprite, Funfetti + Sprite, and/or chocolate cake + Dr. Pepper!
– I haven’t tried this recipe using regular soda, so I couldn’t tell you whether or not it makes a difference. My guess is that the taste would be slightly sweeter, but I found absolutely nothing wrong with my “diet” cupcakes!
– By using dairy-free and/or gluten-free cake mix, this recipe can cater to many different allergies 🙂