I became a big fan of quinoa for breakfast the moment I tried this Berry Breakfast Quinoa. So, I did some experimenting a few weeks ago. My favorite flavor combination in oatmeal is apple cinnamon, so I decided to make a quinoa version!
Apple cinnamon is such a warm, autumnal flavor, and just perfect with the creamy quinoa. I added some raisins on top for some extra flavor and texture, but you could add dried cranberries, a combination (which I eventually did), or just eat it as is!
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa (E, N, D?, GF)
makes 1 serving
– 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
– 1/2 cup water
– 1-2 tbsp. milk (I used skim, but you could use whole, rice, soy, coconut, etc.)
– 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
– 1 tbsp. vanilla protein powder, optional
– 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, or to taste
– 1/2 – 2/3 cup diced apple
– raisins or Craisins, optional
- In a small pot, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Add the apple after about 10 minutes of cooking. Cook for another five minutes, or until the quinoa and apple are tender.
- Keeping heat low, add the milk and brown sugar. Allow the sugar to melt and the quinoa to absorb most of the milk.
- Stir in the protein powder, if you’re using it, and the cinnamon.
- Spoon the quinoa into a bowl. Sprinkle the raisins over the top, and serve warm.
– I used a gala apple for this recipe, but I think any type would work! If you’re using a tart apple, like Granny Smith, you might want to add in a bit more brown sugar.
– If you’re using unflavored protein powder (or none at all), I’d suggest adding a splash of vanilla extract!
– This recipe is perfect for vegetarians, vegans (if you don’t use dairy milk!) or Meat Free Mondays. The quinoa has a ton of protein in it, and the meal overall is very filling and satisfying.
A big, warm bowl of breakfast quinoa is sure to start your day off right! 🙂
This looks so warm and comforting! I feel like if I ever was home sick I would crave this by the fireplace. I hope that doesn’t sound weird haha, I mean it as a compliment!
Not weird at all! Thank you! You’re right, it is perfect comfort food. 🙂
I have made this twice now! Great breakfast or even snack alternative!
Hey Sarah! I’m so glad you like it! 🙂