I wanted to pop by on this freezing Monday morning and share another recipe with you – one that I mentioned last week.
I’ve become a huge fan of quinoa over the past year or so. It’s healthy and versatile, and I love the fact that it’s a meat-free, gluten-free food chock full of protein.
You might remember that I first had the idea to make breakfast quinoa when I was experiencing sensitivity to oats. Sometimes I don’t think there is anything better in the morning than a piping hot bowl of oatmeal – except that it was making me sick. So, I decided to switch things up and use quinoa in place of the oats, and have since created two other delicious breakfast quinoa recipes (here and here).
So I wanted to share with you on Meat Free Monday this next installment: Strawberries & Cream Breakfast Quinoa!
Strawberries & Cream Breakfast Quinoa (egg, nut, dairy?, and gluten free)
– ¼ cup uncooked quinoa
– ½ cup water
– 3 tbsp. coconut milk
– 2 tsp. brown sugar, or to taste
– 1 tbsp. vanilla protein powder, optional
– 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- In a small pot, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes until quinoa is tender.
- Keeping heat low, add the milk and brown sugar. Allow the sugar to melt and the quinoa to absorb most of the milk.
- Stir in protein powder, if you’re using it.
- Add the diced strawberries and stir, allowing them to heat through.
- Spoon the quinoa into a bowl.
It’s really such a simple recipe, which I love. I’m one of those people that likes to eat breakfast as soon as possible, so a quick dish is ideal. 🙂
I hope it’s not as chilly wherever you are as it is here, but if it is, this is a perfect, hot breakfast to curl up with! Have a great day!
P.S. Happy 24th anniversary to my wonderful parents! Love you both!