Skinny Chicken Parmesan (E, N)
makes 4 servings
adapted from this amazing recipe
– 4 four ounce chicken breasts
– 2 tbsp. butter
– 1/2 cup panko
– 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
– Cayenne pepper, garlic powder (to taste)
– 4 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
– 1/2 cup marinara sauce (I used Prego Heart Smart)
– 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (I used Kraft Italian Five Cheese)
- Preheat oven to 450*F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine panko, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder in a shallow dish.
- Melt butter in another shallow dish.
- Dip chicken breast in butter, the coat in panko. Place in baking dish. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Take dish out of oven, sprinkle Parmesan evenly over each breast, and put back in oven for about five minutes.
- Next, spread about 2 tbsp. of sauce over each. Finally, top evenly with mozzarella cheese.
- Put back in oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- If you want, you could turn on the broiler for a few minutes so the cheese gets golden brown.
- Serve hot out of the oven with a side salad.
– To make this even healthier, use reduced fat cheese.
– This recipe was seriously amazing. I suppose it wouldn’t be very healthy to serve it over pasta, so maybe I’ll try it over spaghetti squash sometime….? If you do, let me know how it goes!