I’m just popping in to share this recipe I mentioned last week. To make it, I used berries that we had gotten from the farmer’s market. Michigan blueberries are the best! 🙂 I love the combination of blueberries and brown sugar, but I don’t like my breakfasts too sweet. Feel free to play around with how much sugar you use, but make sure you use brown – let that sweet molasses-y flavor really shine through!
Blueberry Brown Sugar Breakfast Quinoa (egg, nut, dairy, and gluten free)
– 1/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
– 1/2 cup water
– tiny pinch of salt
– 1 tbsp. milk (rice, soy, coconut, dairy, etc.)
– 1 tbsp. brown sugar, or to taste
– a dash of cinnamon
– 2 tsp. ground flaxseed
– 2/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a small pot, combine quinoa, water, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Keeping heat low, add the milk and brown sugar. Allow the sugar to melt and the quinoa to absorb most of the milk.
- Toss in the cinnamon and flax. Stir in the blueberries, and cook until the berries are warmed up and almost bursting.
- Spoon the quinoa into a bowl and serve warm.
Well, I’m off to work – have a wonderful day, everyone!