I have been on a huge granola kick lately. A few weeks ago my mom and I bought a brand called Love Crunch that had chocolate chips in it, and we ate it all in one day. (That is now the second time I have confessed that to the internet world. 😉 ) It was on my mind days after we finished it, so this weekend I decided to create my own version, and the result was a flavorful, chewy granola that is perfect over Greek yogurt for a protein-filled, Meat Free Monday breakfast, mixed with a handful of raisins, or snacked on just straight from the jar!
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Granola (egg, nut, dairy, and gluten free)
– 2 cups oats
– 1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
– 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
– 1 tbsp. whole flaxseed
– 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
– 1/4 cup all-natural sweetener, such as Stevia in the Raw
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 2 heaping tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
– 1/4 cup organic honey
– (Optional:) 2 1/2 tbsp. sunflower seed butter
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I used chopped up bits of my sea salted dark chocolate to keep this all natural, but feel free to use store-bought chips)
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine oats through salt.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine honey and applesauce (and sunbutter, if using). Heat for 35 seconds, or until honey is melted. Stir in vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well. Pour everything out onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, take out of the oven and stir, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before stirring in the chocolate chips.
The photo above is my favorite way to enjoy this granola: a berry and Greek yogurt parfait. I’ve actually been having this as dessert lately, so I know the granola would be a great ice cream topper, too. 🙂
I hope you all have a fantastic Monday!
Ooooh I like this recipe since there aren’t any nuts in it! I could totally try that! I am a granola lover when it’s nut-free so this one sounds perfect. Maybe with some oreos crushed in 😉
Yeah! Oh I forgot about that…I think Oreos are definitely a good idea. 🙂
Oh my, this looks delicious!! 🙂
Whoa. It’s like a no bake cookie crumbled up into a cereal bowl. Sweet!
Haha no kidding! 😉
This is seriously not helping the huge chocolate craving I’ve got going on. I find granola a bit too dense and chewy to eat on its own, but I LOVE it as a yogurt topper… especially when it includes chocolate 😀
I totally understand that. In a yogurt bowl is my favorite way to eat it, for sure!
Your confession is safe here, I too have a granola consuming problem 🙂 This looks like the perfect excuse to make up another batch!
Haha good to know I’m not alone. 😉 It sure is – let me know if you try it!
Omg… this looks awesomely chocolatey. I’ve been buying chocolate trailmix like crazy but I think this could be a different type of sub! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
Haha “awesomely chocolatey”…I love that! And it so is. No problem!
[…] made and shared yet another granola recipe, and enjoyed plenty of other good food (see WIAW tomorrow for more on […]
[…] you all might know about the chocolate granola by […]
My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought
I might as well check things out. I like what I see so
now i am following you. Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.