I have been on a huge granola kick lately. A few weeks ago my mom and I bought a brand called Love Crunch that had chocolate chips in it, and we ate it all in one day. (That is now the second time I have confessed that to the internet world. 😉 ) It was on my mind days after we finished it, so this weekend I decided to create my own version, and the result was a flavorful, chewy granola that is perfect over Greek yogurt for a protein-filled, Meat Free Monday breakfast, mixed with a handful of raisins, or snacked on just straight from the jar!
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Granola (egg, nut, dairy, and gluten free)
– 2 cups oats
– 1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
– 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
– 1 tbsp. whole flaxseed
– 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
– 1/4 cup all-natural sweetener, such as Stevia in the Raw
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 2 heaping tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
– 1/4 cup organic honey
– (Optional:) 2 1/2 tbsp. sunflower seed butter
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I used chopped up bits of my sea salted dark chocolate to keep this all natural, but feel free to use store-bought chips)
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine oats through salt.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine honey and applesauce (and sunbutter, if using). Heat for 35 seconds, or until honey is melted. Stir in vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well. Pour everything out onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, take out of the oven and stir, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before stirring in the chocolate chips.
The photo above is my favorite way to enjoy this granola: a berry and Greek yogurt parfait. I’ve actually been having this as dessert lately, so I know the granola would be a great ice cream topper, too. 🙂
I hope you all have a fantastic Monday!