I’m not a typical 21 year old college student. I know that.
For example, for my 21st birthday, I didn’t go out to a bar and do twenty one shots – I went wine tasting with my parents. And had a blast.
I wake up at 7:45 or 8:00 most weekend mornings to go workout. (I realize that a lot of you healthy bloggers out there might do or might have done the same thing, but in my town, no one is up that early. It’s actually quite wonderful having the place to myself.)
On a Saturday evening if I stay at school (versus going home), Dan and I are more likely to be found in my kitchen cooking and baking rather than partying or sleeping.
That was us this past Saturday evening. We made the following delicious and healthy dinner and dessert, and followed that up with about five hours of cards and listening to the Golden Oldies station on Pandora. (OK, I’ll admit, that last part was me and my 70 year old self. We were laughing because I honestly knew every single song that came up.)
Yeahhh…I’m weird, and constantly reminded of that fact every day. But you know what? I’m perfectly fine with that. 🙂
I honestly don’t have enough good things to say about this dinner. It’s full of veggies, fiber, and protein, and is so good and warming. You all know that I’m a snacker, but I can honestly say that I didn’t even think about after-dinner snacks once I’d had this meal. It’s so satisfying and filling.
Vegan Salsa Beans and Rice (egg, nut, dairy, and gluten free)
makes 4-6 servings
– 2 tsp. coconut oil
– 1 small onion, diced
– 1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
– 1 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning (either make your own, or buy the reduced sodium kind from the store)
– 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain the juice!)
– 1 1/4 cups salsa (we used medium, but any level of spiciness would do!)
– 2 cups cooked brown rice
– 1 (15) oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
– Baked tofu, flavored with taco seasoning, optional
- In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and carrots, and sautee for about 7 minutes, or until they start to turn soft.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the veggies and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes and the salsa. Turn heat to medium low, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the cooked rice and stir. Heat until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the beans and stir, cook only to heat through.
- Serve hot (top with baked tofu, if desired) and enjoy!
– For those who like meat with their meals, Dan topped his bowl with some taco seasoned chicken, and loved it. I think I normally would have done that if I wasn’t on a Pescetarian diet, but to be honest, I didn’t miss it!
So, needless to say, I like being the weird 21 year old if it means I get dinners like this out of it. 🙂
I hope you have a marvelous Monday!
Question for the day: Do you act your age?
I’m the same way. Not a “normal” college student. I wake up at 7:30 now which is pretty normal around here but not on the weekends, and I have zero interest in partying on my 21st in a couple weeks. I’d rather eat cake and mac and cheese than go do shots at a bar. It’s just not my scene. I’m glad I’m not the only one who is like that!
Go us! I’m the same way – I’d rather “spend” my calories on delicious food than on alcohol! (And remain coherent while doing so!) 🙂
mmm I’m usually not super into tofu, but that looks delish. Also I feel ya! I haven’t even been to a bar since turning 21.. oops!
I wasn’t either for the longest time, but for some reason I’ve really been on a tofu kick lately!
mm tofu has been my jam lately so this looks amazing
Me too! I hope you give it a go!
Liv cooks and live cooks well! This tofu masterpiece looks so yummy!
And no, I act as if I’m twelve usually!! No kidding! Ok, at least 20 or something!!
Aw, thank you. You’re always so sweet!
Haha there’s nothing wrong with acting like a kid again, in my opinion! 😉
That dish looks incredible!
I’m only 32, but I’m really an old lady LOL! I wake up around 4:45 to go to the gym which means I’m in bed no later than 9.
Amen to that. I’d much rather be up early and in bed early than wake up in the afternoon and stay awake through the night! But geesh, 4:45 am…that’s pretty crazy, but awesome!
It is crazy, but it’s only until September! After that I’ll have all 3 of my kids in school full time so I can drop them off and then go to the gym 🙂
There is nothing weird about doing what you enjoy. 🙂 I much rather go out to a nice dinner and have a relaxing evening myself. As a lover of beans and rice I can not wait to try this recipe. Think I can sneak tofu without hubby noticing? Lol
That can be fun sometimes! Haha I’m not sure about that, but…I hope you both like it anyway! 😉
Nothing wrong about staying in w/ your man, playing cards ( Joshua & i do that EVERY weekend), and listening to oldies 🙂
🙂 There’s something just so relaxing about playing cards.
[…] Vegan Salsa Beans and Rice was also on the menu, as you might already […]