Good morning! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
I just can’t believe it’s been so long since I last posted. Seriously, where is the time going?
To play a bit of catch-up, I thought I’d link up to Meghan’s Week in Review. Click on over to her site to see what everyone else has been up to! Thanks for hosting, Meghan! 🙂
- I started teaching full time. Well, it’s a long-term sub position, but I’m grading, planning, and teaching day in and day out. So far, I love it. The students are great and I love the subjects I’m teaching (Brit Lit and Creative Writing).
- One of my students called me old. I think that’s hilarious – in reality, I’m only about five, maybe six years older than them, but I didn’t understand a term they were using and got called old. Ha.
- It was my mom’s birthday! We went out to eat and to a hockey game last Saturday, and then on her actual birthday, we celebrated with cards and gifts. We’re all trying to be “good”, so we didn’t have a cake, but as it was her choice, I don’t think she minded. 🙂
- I spent the entire week battling one of the nastiest colds I’ve ever had. Perfectly timed with my first full week of teaching, of course…
- The top “lock” button on my iPhone stopped working. It’s really annoying. Fortunately I found out about Assistive Touch, which is a little button/app thing that allows you to turn off your phone, take screenshots, and do other things without a working lock button. The wonders of technology…
- I meant to write a post last week about my new acid reflux diet. It’s such a pain, but it had been helping. Before we went out to dinner for my mom’s birthday and I splurged on bread (gluten), I hadn’t felt hardly any symptoms. Unfortunately, I splurged a lot more this past week (read: chocolate) and my symptoms have returned. So this WIAW, I’ll write up a post about this crazy diet.
- I have a new recipe to share with you! Expect it tomorrow (or at the very least, by the end of the week 😉 )!
- We got around to watching Nebraska, 12 Years a Slave, and Dallas Buyers Club. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Nebraska because I thought the acting of the main character was awful, but the other two were great. I was a bigger fan of 12 Years because I thought they did the story and history so much justice, but Dallas Buyers Club was also a very interesting story.
- I’m excited that the temperatures are going to be in the 30s and 40s this week. Yeah. 30s and 40s.
- There’s about two and a half weeks left until spring break! My mom and I have decided to go to Florida, and I can’t even begin to tell you how much I’m looking forward to getting out of this frozen land previously known as Michigan.
- On a very sad note, I went to a visitation this past week for one of my former students. He was a smart, nice, and talented person who was really going places, but unfortunately, he passed in his sleep a little over a week ago. I’m absolutely amazed at how the entire Grand Rapids area has been moved by his passing – the line at his visitation was over three hours long. I hope that seeing all of the people he influenced helped his family a bit with the loss.
I love Meghan’s WiRs because they help us realize how much we do in a week. I think it’s partially our culture that makes us feel like we need to constantly push ourselves, and then we turn around and feel like we aren’t doing enough. It’s good to sit back and appreciate how hard we all work! 🙂
And now, on to this week! I hope all of you have a good one!