Egg-free brownies are one of the most difficult things to make. There’s something about the egg in the batter that gives “normal” brownies that beautiful crackly top and almost crunchy sides, while still keeping the middle soft and chewy. For as many brownie recipes as I’ve tried, I hadn’t yet been able to achieve that with an egg-free recipe.
Well guess what? These brownie bites have that hard-to-get crackly softness. They’re absolute bliss. And they’re so allergy-friendly, it’s ridiculous.
Chocolate Brownie Bites (egg, nut, and dairy free)
makes about 24 mini brownies
– 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp. warm water (two flax eggs)
– 1/2 cup butter (use vegan butter, like Earth Balance, if you need to!)
– 2/3 cup granulated sugar
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– 3/4 tsp. baking powder
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Line mini muffin tins with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseed and water to make 2 flax eggs. Let this sit for about five minutes, or until thick.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add flax eggs (once they’ve set).
- Stir in baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Finally, add the flours.
- Dollop about a tablespoon of batter for each brownie into the tins (fill them about 3/4 of the way). Bake for 6 minutes, or until the brownies start to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Allow them to sit in the tin for a few minutes after removing them from the oven, and then cool them completely on a wire rack.
– If you don’t have a mini muffin tin, or don’t want to make these brownies mini, you could bake them in regular muffin tins or in a 9×9-inch pan. You’ll have to adjust the baking time (I would start by adding at least 10 minutes, then go from there!), but they’ll be just as good!
– Obviously, the more chocolate the better – you could throw in some mini chocolate chips to take these babies over the top!
P.S. I may or may not have finished this batch off in two days.