5 Minute Microwave Brownie (E, N, D, GF?)
adapted from this amazing recipe
– 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
– 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
– 1.5 tbsp. white sugar
– 1.5 tbsp. all-natural sweetener (like Stevia)
– 1/8 tsp. salt
– 1/8 tsp. baking powder
– 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
– 1 tbsp. melted margarine
– 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
– 1 tbsp. water
– 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
– Add ins, optional: white or dark chocolate chips, dried cherries, flaked coconut, nuts (if you’re tolerant), etc.
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
2. In another small bowl, melt margarine in the microwave. Add applesauce, water, and vanilla extract.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and combine well. Stir in your add ins, if using.
4. Spray the inside of a coffee mug with non-stick cooking spray, and pour batter into mug.
5. Microwave for about 45-75 seconds (depending on your microwave), or until the top of the brownie is firm.
6. Allow to cool for a few seconds, then enjoy! You can also flip the brownie out onto a plate, which is what I did. Enjoy! 🙂
– I followed the original recipe almost entirely, but replacing canola oil with applesauce cut the calories by over 200!
– Now, the other day when I said I was making this recipe “healthier”, I didn’t mean it was going to be healthy. 😉 It clocks in at over 280 calories, according to this recipe calculator, and that’s without any add-ins! But you know what? It’s worth every last gram of fat. And I mean that sincerely.
– If you need to keep this recipe dairy-free, try DF chocolate chips or hot fudge. Sooooo good.
– I have almost zero experience in baking gluten-free, but I’m thinking this recipe would be quite easy to convert, considering there is only 4 tablespoons of flour in it! If you try that, please let me know how it works!
I hope you have a great Monday! And if you’re not, try popping one of these into the microwave – it will make it much better. 🙂