Well, spring break is over, and I enjoyed it a lot.
But on Thursday night…well, I don’t want to say that I was bored. I just wanted something to do that wasn’t homework.
And whenever I get that feeling, I bake or cook food.
However, I get that feeling a lot, which means a lot of baked goods, which typically aren’t at all healthy.
So Thursday night, when I got that baking urge, I decided to take a recipe from a healthier cookbook and make it even more clean. To do this, I swapped coconut oil for butter, some of the sugar for honey, and whole wheat flour for some of the AP. Now, these muffins still have their faults, but their texture, health benefits, taste, and beauty more than make up for those faults.
Healthy Berry Muffins (egg, nut, dairy free)
makes 12 muffins
adapted from the SparkPeople cookbook
– 1 cup whole wheat flour
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. oat bran
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
– 4 tbsp. coconut oil, softened
– 1/4 cup honey
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 2 egg-replacer eggs or flax eggs
– 1/2 cup milk (rice, soy, skim, etc.)
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– 1 1/4 cups frozen mixed berries, thawed, drained of juice
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon). Set aside.
- Beat coconut oil, honey, brown sugar, and applesauce for about 2 minutes, or until thoroughly combined.
- Beat in the “eggs”.
- Add half the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Stir until combined and add the other half. Mix until combined.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract. Mix for about 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula (not a beater or mixer) fold in the thawed berries.
- Scoop into the prepared muffin tin. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffins comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Calories: 143. Fat: 5. Carbs: 26. Fiber: 2. Protein: 2.5.
So if you’re ever, you know, not bored, or simply feel like baking something healthy for yourself, give these muffins a try. You will love them. 🙂
Have a great weekend!